Monday, April 14, 2008

Change of Pace

The inimitable and unconquerable chessloser riffs on drunken monkey kung fu chess. Inspiring stuff.

Though not directly related, his post made me wonder if I might try to get out of my recent run of losses by doing something different, maybe just playing the opening freely, without preconception from the very first move...supposedly below master the opening isn't where the game is won or lost, right?

Instead of my usual tried and true set of variations, I'll go Dutch, or Reversed Dutch, or get really nutty and go Englund Gambit like BDK. Or maybe 1. Nf3 2. b3, or maybe 1. c4. All stuff I haven't played in a serious game for a long time, if ever.

Danish Gambit, Evans Gambit, King's Gambit anyone?

Changing openings isn't an end in itself, but I need to have more fun playing, loosen up and let it fly. My next opponent should be quaking in his boots or laughing his ass off.

Either way, I'll have 'im right where I want 'im!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

if you play drunk, you might lose all your games, but you don't care, you're drunk!

honestly, i wonder if playing drunk helps me relax and not overthink stuff, play a bit more with intuition. i think i just get really lucky...

wang said...

Give a go Robert. Maybe a change of pace is just what the doctor ordered. Let us know how it works out.

Anonymous said...

What about 1.e3 2.Ke2 3.Kf3? chessloser mentioned a guy using this opening managed to score some points in the A section of some tournament. Couldn't hurt to try...

Robert Pearson said...

@chessloser--you may remember my post about psychiatrist Dr. Kenneth Colby, who advised "a few belts" before the game. "Drunk" is probably a bit too much, however...

@Wang--I'm playing tonight, and I'll be creative from move 1, will report back tomorrow...

@LEP--that's a little more than a "change of pace" that's over the top!

Blue Devil Knight said...

Go for it! The Englund will shock your opponent into insanity. :)