Tuesday, October 23, 2007

If I May Respectfully Disagree...

The Kenilworthian has some thoughts on the October Chess Life:

I would like to take a moment to compliment the editors of Chess Life for producing one of the best issues I have seen (not to mention the sexiest-ever chess magazine cover photo!) and for putting all of this excellent content online for the entire chess community to enjoy. Bravo!

Well, I will say that Chess Life is pretty good these days--much better than a few years ago. However, Chris Bird's piece on the U.S. Women's Championship starts out with a paragraph in need of serious editorial attention:

Standing in the playing room was a young lady with rosy, shining cheeks, a glowing smile and a joyful look on her face. It was a refreshing sight given that over the previous five days, her look had been more determined: very serious with the fate of the world seemingly resting on her shoulders. Her head was usually buried in a book when she wasn’t playing chess, staying out of the limelight and just generally minding her own business.

YAAARRRGH.

As for the "the sexiest-ever chess magazine cover photo(!)," I find Ms. Krush to be an attractive young woman in a semi- sexy pose; however, her white-knuckled death grip on the King brings some rather unpleasant "Freudian" thoughts to my mind.



You be the judge.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

It seems to me that there is still a big difference in the way female and male chess players are covered in chess magazines. Just imagine Jennifer Shahade starting an article on a top-level tournament with comments on the looks of some male grandmasters. Entertaining - yes. But does it help to promote chess? I don't know.

Blue Devil Knight said...

She's Krushing the King. They had to do it. Plus it is a great opportunity for Photoshoppers :)

Robert Pearson said...

As long as it's not my "King" she's Krushing!

Pawned! said...

I'm a guy - I knew what the visual metaphor was the moment I pulled the magazine out of my mailbox...Rich

Anonymous said...

Irina Krush is one of those girls that I know some guys will find good-looking, but I can't make the leap to say that she's sexy. Or even all that attractive.

She's been around chess so long, it's hard to believe she's still only 23.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.